Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Community

I am having a blast in my new schools this year.  I am a much happier person and life is good!  On monday at one of my schools they were having a constitution assembly I went to it to see what it was all about and because I felt I needed to be there since I should have been teaching but my class was there.  Every Monday the whole school gathers around the flagpole courtyard and recite the Declaration of Independence and the Pledge of Allegiance.  It is so cool to hear them say that.  The Principal then shares who is having a birthday that week and any other announcements.  At the assembly on Monday they did that and then the 5th graders recited the Preamble.  Doing stuff like that creates a sense of community.  Having that sense of community makes a huge difference in the way a child learns.  The teachers care more and everyone wants to be there.  I am really impressed by this sense of community, and love what that provides for the students.  That is the end of my ramblings for today.  Get ready for fun next week, my Grandma Riding is getting married on Saturday, so we are enjoying a roller coaster of emotions this week!

1 comment:

Valerie said...

That sounds like a Franklin thing to do. We did something similar when I was at Franklin.